Saturday, January 21, 2012

On the bright side...


Never before have I been so enthralled in a primary election and never before have I felt so much pressure to make my vote count.  How many times have I heard "since 1980 South Carolina has picked the nominee".  But then, isn't that really just coincidence?  Are we better informed than the rest of the US and better able to pick a President?  I think not.

The truth is, as disappointing as it is to me that Romney lost tonight, I really think it's a good thing.  I think it's good that more voters in more states will feel the pressure to get informed, to know the issues and to make the right choice.  As I told my Mom today, I think it's good that the candidates will have more time to address issues (and I mean real issues, not ridiculous accusations) and get their message out.  I think a drawn out primary election just means the system is working.  I don't want a nominee who was effectively chosen by a handful of states.

The most dissapointing thing to me however, were the number of people who responded in the exit polls that they voted for Gingrich because of his debate performance.  He is a good debator, an entertaining debator, no doubt.  An Obama-Gingrich debate would be good TV.  I knew of several people who voted for the current President because of his speeches.  But, it's frustrating to me that people value that sooo much.  It's not just about saying what people want to hear, or being able to "fight" your opponent.  Being the President is about being a true leader, about getting results and making meaningful change.  It doesn't matter what you say on the campaign trail if you can't make it happen once elected.

I'm passing the torch, choose wisely ya'll :)

1 comment:

mary lynne said...

Excellent. I love it that you can think this through so deeply. It is vital that we Americans think this all through and vote for the one who can do what really needs to be done to prevent a fall into the fate that socialist Europe is now experiencing.