Friday, September 28, 2012

OBX: Part Two

One of the reasons we decided on the Outer Banks was because, in addition to the beach, it offered several interesting historical sights within close proximity.  And lighthouses.  I love lighthouses - but that's another post.

On Tuesday we went to Roanoke Island to see the site of the Lost Colony.  I have to admit, the details surrounding the "lost colony" had escaped me, but still, I was intrigued by the idea of a mystery.  Just in case you have forgotten too, go here, if you are into that sort of thing. 

The site is in the town of Manteo and the island is actually quite tiny but very cute.  The weather was perfect and we had a great time climbing aboard a replica of the ship (I couldn't believe how many people they fit in those things - 50-60!), wandering though the Native Settlement, and English Settlement and then finally the museum.  This museum was one of the best I have ever been to with lots of stuff for the kids to climb on, dress up in, and play with.  There was even a big gravel pit out front to dig for fossils!  We came home with quite a few shark teeth and a few fossils.  After the museum we had lunch on the marina and played at the park.



Next we headed to Kittyhawk or Kill Devils Hills, I'm still not sure which it really is, to visit the Wright Brother's Memorial.  We looked in the museum, climbed up a big hill, and then got to play on a replica of the plane.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Aidan and his cousin look quite similar.