Monday, June 13, 2011

So little. So BIG.


Most of the time I still think of the Little Mister as my baby, until he reminds me "I'm not a baby, I'm a boy." And it's true. Without even realizing it was happening (well maybe a little) he has gotten so big. For instance:

A few weeks ago we went to the Greek festival. Brad and I went for the gyros, but the Mister was there for the rides. I didn't even think there would be rides but he was delighted when we got there and there were, in fact, carnival rides. He set his sights on the ferris wheel - a baby ferris wheel with cages. He insisted on holding his tickets and giving them to the guy operating the ride. I thought he was going to go up to the cage, get scared and come back to us like the boy in front of us did. He didn't. He went right up, sat in the chair and even tried to close his own door. He just sat there with a big smile on his face. So big. He did mention at some point before the ride was even really going that he was all done but we cheered him on and as it started to move he sat there nervously looking out.  And then I think he even started to enjoy himself a little, because as soon as it was done he wanted to go ride the train.

The next day I took him to swimming lessons. He walked all around the pool and grabbed a noodle out of the bin. He walked back and we went to the stairs. As I started to help him into the pool he said "no, I will do it myself" and proceeded to spend the rest of the lesson time swimming around with just the noodle. No life jacket, no floaties, just hanging onto that noodle. And if I got too close he reminded me that he was doing it himself.

Last Sunday at church I overheard him and his buddy having what I think was their first real conversation. It went something like this:
Buddy: "You don't take my cars."
Mister: " Ok, I will play with my cars and you can play with your cars."
Buddy: "Ok, I will play with my cars."
Mister: "Do you want to go to nursery class and play with me?"
Buddy: "Ok, but I need to go potty first."

Today he was trying to build a parascope out of letters. I asked him if he knew what a parascope was and he said "it helps me to see through the roof". Yep, that's about right.

He talks, and talks, and talks all the time.  This is not new information.  However, lately he ends his monologues by saying "and that's how that works!"

2 comments:

mary lynne said...

We've missed so many "in-betweens" since last November and now. We can't wait to see all of you. Love, Mom

Kim said...

He is getting SO big!! But then again, so is Libby. It is hard to believe it has been almost 3 years since we've all been together.
Libby saw his picture and I told her it was her cousin Aidan. She then said, "Mom, I want you to print the picture of my cousin Aidan". I think she's in love ;)