Earlier this month we went to Charleston. I love that city! The history, the architecture, the food. I could do without the heat and humidity though and I think we chose one of the hottest weekends to go!
We didn't let the heat stop us though and decided to go ahead and see the aircraft carrier turned aviation museum in Mt. Pleasant. I would not recommend doing that on a summer afternoon again. But, we did find a couple of cool spots, one being the dining room (or mess hall), and we stayed in there as long as possible. Aside from being hot, and terribly nervous that my kids were going to fall off the boat, it was pretty interesting. We didn't get to see everything (it's a big ship!) so maybe some day we will go back and finish the rest.
The next day we headed to the beach at Isle of Palms to meet up with some friends that were staying in a beach house there. I really love that beach because the waves are so calm (typically) and it is shallow enough that you can walk out really far into the water. The kids loved splashing in the water. The Mister even got to try boogie boarding with his dad. But mostly, they were intent on digging.
After dinner that evening we went out for ice-cream. The kids wanted to taste each other's ice-cream and were so cute about sharing that I had to snap a quick photo!
On our third day we went downtown. Once again it was a scorcher so we let the kids cool off in the fountains. Silly me, I thought the kids would just splash around and didn't need their swimsuits. Well, I was wrong! They got right in and got soaked from head to toe. Clearly the locals were more experienced as pretty much all the other kids were in full swimwear. Luckily, we had a change of clothes on hand.
After lunch we went to Charletowne Landing which is the location of the original settlement. Once again, had it not been so hot I think we might have enjoyed this more. We didn't see everything here either. We did go to the animal forest and saw some bison - but most of the animals were smarter than us and had found a shady place to hide. We also got to see one of the small ships like what they had back in the days of the early settlement. I think it would be a really fun place to visit around Thanksgiving time. I guess we will have to go back!




No comments:
Post a Comment