Tuesday, October 2, 2012

OBX: Part Three

Wednesday was a pretty low key day for us.  We rode our bikes into town and got donuts at Duck Donuts.  They were so good we got them again before we left.  The town has a pretty extensive boardwalk system on the sound side.  So, after our donuts we walked along the boardwalk and even popped into a couple of shops before heading back.  The day was so nice we even rode up past the beach house to explore a little more.  We spent the afternoon playing on the beach.  Apparently though, it was such a low key day that I didn't bother to get out my camera :(

Thursday we went to play on the sand dunes and fly kites and we even saw some hang gliders.  There is something about sand dunes that is just amazing to me.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity.  Plus, I will never forget the time we were driving through White Sands, NM and my sister and I wanted to get out of the car and see them so badly but my mom wouldn't let us.  Does White Sands remind anyone else about the movie "Space Camp"?  Just me....ok, moving on.


After our loooong hike over and around the dunes we went to see the Body Island lighthouse.  I think it's pronounce bo-dee, with a long O.  Because body island sounds creepy.  We didn't exactly know where we were going but found it without too much trouble, only to realize the whole thing was being repaired.  Oh well.  We still picnicked in the shadow of the scaffolding and then the boys left for their fishing trip while Suz and I took our babies home.



Fishing was the highlight of the trip for Little Mister.  Most specifically, the part where he got to throw the puffer fish that they caught onto the deck of the boat.  One of the guides blew the fish up (with his mouth - disgusting) and then let the kids play with it.  I don't think cousin B was quite as excited about the puffer fish, as you can see from his face in the picture. Priceless. When we got back the Mister told his whole class that he caught two puffer fish!  Poor Mister, the kids life jackets on the boat didn't fit him very well so he had to wear Baby Sister's puddle jumper.  Luckily he didn't seem to mind one bit.  I guess he was distracted by the thought of catching a real fish.

1 comment:

mary lynne said...

As I recall our trip through the N.M. sand dunes, you two were asleep in the back seat. I excitedly shouted, "Wake UP! This is the most amazing thing ever. These dunes go on for miles and miles." You two briefly raised your heads and said, "Ok, we saw them." Then you both settled back for a nap. When we were nearly past them you asked if we could stop, but the good clean sand was far behind us. We sure remember it differently. But I'm glad you finally had the fun of playing in dunes. I got to do that near Yuma several times growing up. But never near an ocean. I love the pics of these cute grandkids.