Thursday, October 17, 2013

My big, little babies...

...or little big babies, whichever seems most fitting.

We had a fun birthday season this year.  The Mister turned five and Baby Sister (not a baby anymore but I still like the nickname) turned three.  They were both old enough to anticipate and get excited about their birthdays and their birthday party.


Some thoughts on being FIVE:

 

When the Mister grows up he wants to be a spy, and go to spy college, obviously.

His favorite color is blue...and red.

His favorite superheroes are Superman and Sonic the Hedgehog (if he is actually a superhero)

His favorite thing to do inside is build a fort.

Favorite thing to do outside is play Frisbee (but I really think it is swimming)

His best friends are Dallin, Myah, Benjamin, Nate, and Jackson.

The best thing about being five is riding his new (two wheel) scooter.

He is really looking forward to kindergarten, especially lego club but he is sad he can't ride the bus.

Something the Mister can do now that he is five that he couldn't do before is sit on the rings on the swingset and do tricks.

I love watching the Mister grow and make new friends and get excited for school and make more new friends there.  He is learning so much all the time and usually takes his responsibilities very seriously.  He likes to do things the right way and gets frustrated when he can't or when it takes longer than he thinks it should - like when he's writing or sounding out a new word.  He is becoming such a good helper to me and Baby Sister.  I love that he wakes up right now and pretty much gets himself ready for school.  One day I got him a new Transformer backpack.  He was so excited he slept with it that night.  The next morning he met me in the dark hallway as I was going to get him up for school.  Eyes half-closed I told him he needed to get dressed for school.  He told me he already was and when I opened my eyes I realize that he was already dressed and had his backpack on ready to go.  He had even helped Baby Sister get dressed too :)


Some thoughts on being THREE:



When Baby Sister grows up she wants to be a "space police gorilla".  I think she meant girl.

Her favorite colors are pink and purple, obviously.

Her favorite show is Blues Clues.

Her favorite thing to do inside is play hide and seek (which is awesome because she just hides under a blanket right next to me every time.  She doesn't even care if she is completely covered as long as she can't see me she thinks she is hidden).

Her favorite thing to do outside is play hopscotch - even though she doesn't follow the rules AT. ALL.

Her best friends are Grayson and Hunter (ps Hunter is ten and sooo cute with her).

The best thing about being three is "balance beaming by myself".

Something Baby Sister can do now that she is three that she couldn't do before is ride on the zipline.  There was a zipline at the campsite we went to (see future post).  Mister really, really wanted to try it and so we let him. Then Sister got brave and wanted to try it too.  Well, it went way to fast and was too high for me to feel comfortable letting her go by herself so she rode on my lap. She LOVED it.  My cute, brave, little girl :)

Baby Sister is giving me a run for my money.  She can go from happy to sad in a split second.  When she is happy she is sooo happy, and her tantrums can be truly epic.  I guess this is what they call the terrible twos, and even more terrible threes.  Luckily, almost all of my friends with little girls can relate and we get together to commiserate. We are in trouble when she is a teenager.  I suppose the hardest part is not knowing what might set her off.  Lately, well actually not lately, for the last year and a half she has been pretty keen on dressing herself.  I guess it's only lately that I have really let her take full responsibility for it.  This is a blessing and a curse (like each milestone a child reaches - I couldn't wait for the Mister to talk so I would know what he wanted and he has not stopped since).  It is a blessing because it is one less chore that I have to worry about and a curse because she has a mind of her own and will not listen to reason, or the weatherman, if you try to change her mind.  And if I tell her that it is too cold to wear a sleeveless shirt she will just put another sleeveless shirt on top of it so that "she can be warm".  Some days she will want to wear the exact same outfit as the previous day.  And some days she will change five times.  Baby Sister has always been really good at pronunciation but my favorite thing is when she uses the wrong word.  Such as "monsters" for lobsters - or even better - mobsters.  Once she kept asking me for her "slicey".  It took me awhile to realize she meant her Sonic slushy.  And when she gallops across the room she says "gallon".

1 comment:

mary lynne said...

We have been "hungry" for more information and pictures of our adorable grandchildren. Thanks for the wonderful update. Lucy and Aidan are extraordinary!!!